Monday, July 20, 2009

Leave Our Giza Zoo Alone in Giza

So the rumors are true , the ministry of housing  thinks in transferring our old Giza Zoo to 6th of October Governorate and sell its land to investors !!!!!?? It is not the first time.

By the way this is the same ministry of housing that plans to sell the Dahab and Waraq Islands to investors despite by court order these islands are natural reserves owned by its people no one can get them out of it !! This court order is also recognized by the Giza governorate.

Strangely last time I checked the Zoo was following the ministry of Agriculture and the deputy of the ministry has denied any knowledge about this plan !!!?? And what is this complaint that people are scared from the zoo because of the swine and avian flu !!??

What is going on !!?? Is there a conflict of authority here or what !!?? The municipal council of Giza has refused this plan which means there is something could be serious going on.

I tried to check from this news , already after Youm 7 and their   sources , I could not find another source except animal rights activist Dina Zulficar who assured to me online that these were just rumors and the ministry of agriculture has set reforming committees to revive parks and Zoos owned by the ministry recently with short and long terms to achieve that goal the ministry has set. Mrs.Zulficar’s words calmed me down a little bit still my mind can’t overcome the sources of Youm 7 and also the fact that this is not the first or even the second time we hear such talk regarding our Zoo. I hope that Mrs.Zulficar is right, seriously she would make my day for real.

Back to the Zoo , this is the second oldest Zoo in the world built in the 19th century ,there are very old trees and rocks for God sake !!! The Giza Zoo was inaugurated in 1891 and this is how we keep it !!? Is  not it a Khedival heritage like Down town !!?? Oh I forget to tell you that Belton Financial has bought the Khedival building in Down town too !!?

May be this is why the Zoo reached to the Zoo miserable level , the regime is using the same method they used in selling our public factories , they let it get rotten then they sell these factories to greedy investors claiming they were hopeless and burden on the state to remedy !!?

Are we going to transfer the second oldest zoo in the world so its land would be sold by millions and transfer the last green parts of Giza to have concrete buildings !!

Why does this government want to destroy everything historical and beautiful in our life ??

Already FYI building a so-called  centralized zoo in October bigger than the Giza Zoo is much more expensive than restoring our current Zoo and reviving it !!

I think animal rights organizations alone can’t fight this battle or rather war with the government with all respect to them, this is not an assault on animal wild life but rather an assault on our history and our dignity , we need more help from civil society organizations and political parties and movements like Kafiya, 6th April ,Bothina Kamal’s organization ..etc. I know that some journalists from and outside Egypt read my blog , I hope that they read this post and spread it in their publications !!  I wish that the whole blogsphere and Egyptian facebook society speak about this and show our total refusal to the government because I got sick from this rumors every now and then in order to know our reactions.

Here are couple of Facebook groups I found online speaking about this topic :

What else will be transferred to 6th of October governorate !!?? Cairo University or even better Abdeen Palace !!!??Are they going to transfer the Orman garden too ?? !!

We Must Stop this conspiracy of selling the history of Egypt and Yes We Can Stop it if We want insh Allah.

6 comments:

  1. This is sooooooo saaaaaaaad. I cannot believe myself. Can you do something to prevent similar actions against The Pyramids? May be the Nile as well?
    Egyptian in Canada by body and in Egypt by soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anonymous, I won't be surprised I swear if they did it
    We can many things , we should do anything not to stand still
    Thank God this time again we made their plans fail with our refusal

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can we do to stop that? I am not a revolutionary person by nature, but we just can't be ideal! This is our history! How can we save it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there any further info about the Belton financial transaction ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Heballah, to speak about it over and over , it is not the first time , I think we should make it clear whether in the blogs or in facebook or in forums or even in simple comments like you that we refuse it
    of course the revolutionaries in this country can do a lot it
    Yes they denied it but they thought about

    @Mohamed Saad , there were lots and lots of information , Business monthly which is published by the American Chamber had a full report about it last month I believe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zeinobia, I agree with you that it's not a topic of 'animal rights' as much as 'our history'. In addition, the zoo is not for animals only but other speices like birds and plants.

    If there is something to be glad about, I think what the confirmations from 'Dina Zulfukar' but I wonder do people know that the zoo was expelled from WAZA list in 2004? DUH!

    I introduced my thoughts regarding the whole stuff over my blog so feel free to check it at [http://bit.ly/13aJ2z]

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comment
Please keep it civilized here, racist and hateful comments are not accepted
The Comments in this blog with exclusion of the blog's owner does not represent the views of the blog's owner.